Re: Is this ALL good advise

On Mi, 04 dec 19, 17:33:40, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2019 16:17:46 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > What's the point in using something like ProtonMail with a publicly
> > archived mailing list?
> >
> My point exactly.  That means two accounts at your isp, I think mine
> charges only after the 2nd one, and two active fetchmail/procmail
> sessions = more trouble than it worth. Me? I got the heck off gmail
> years ago for lack of privacy reasons, and I frankly don't understand
> why the rest of the planet hasn't bailed out for the same reasons.

Because ISPs never spied on anyone...
</sarcasm>

> > In any case you will be needing key(s).
> > See https://wiki.debian.org/GnuPG for how to generate and manage them.
>
> And these are not the same keys used with an ssh -Y pi@rpi4 connection. I
> use those to operate the rest of the machinery here for maintenance.

Apparently it's possible to generate (sub?)keys usable with SSH, but
yes, they will be different than the signing and/or encryption key(s).

> > How to use the key(s) with a particular mail client depends on the
> > mail client ;). I would expect most of the "traditional" mail clients
> > on Linux[1] with GPG support to pick up the key(s) automatically if
> > you use default locations.
>
> I'd assume so too. Until proven otherwise.
>
> > [1] (neo)mutt, Sylpheed, Claws Mail, Evolution, KMail, etc.
> >
> My kmail is TDE's, might not be new enough.

I would be surprised if it doesn't support it.

> > What is not explicitly mentioned there is that you should also somehow
> > establish that a specific key belongs to the person, e.g. by meeting
> > in person and comparing key fingerprints (and some photo ID if you
> > don't know each other).
>
> Which for me is a bit complex, and if travel required, costly.

Signing and/or encryption works without it, you just won't be so sure
you're communicating with the right person.

Kind regards,
Andrei