Re: Is this ALL good advise

On Mi, 04 dec 19, 12:49:53, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Which bring me to the table to ask about protonmail. Who pays for that
> supposedly secure service at the end of the month? Simple TANSTAAFL, a
> law that can't be broken and have survivors, John.

The free account is quite restricted (500 MB, 150 messages per day).
This is more than enough for me for the stuff I don't want on GMail.

If you need more than that you must upgrade to a paid account.

> And an it follows question, how does it work with mailing lists such as
> this one?

What's the point in using something like ProtonMail with a publicly
archived mailing list?

> Have had a fire it took an extinguisher to put out last Friday in my main
> box, I've stuff coming that enough bigger/faster to consider such an
> option, but I fail to see how it will work with a mailing list which is
> probably 95+ percent of my email traffic here.  Much of which is signed,
> but kmail, for the first time ever, confirmed a good signature about 2
> weeks back so that gives one an idea of how many, including me, don't
> fully understand how to use a gpg signature correctly.
>
> IMO it needs far more educationally aimed discussion than the lists in
> general have supported so far. Even a pointer to a good tut would be
> appreciated at this campsite. A tut that is NOT written as a commercial
> for a certain email agent, but simply specifies what needs to be done.

In any case you will be needing key(s).
See https://wiki.debian.org/GnuPG for how to generate and manage them.

How to use the key(s) with a particular mail client depends on the mail
client ;). I would expect most of the "traditional" mail clients on
Linux[1] with GPG support to pick up the key(s) automatically if you use
default locations.

[1] (neo)mutt, Sylpheed, Claws Mail, Evolution, KMail, etc.

What is not explicitly mentioned there is that you should also somehow
establish that a specific key belongs to the person, e.g. by meeting in
person and comparing key fingerprints (and some photo ID if you don't
know each other).

Kind regards,
Andrei