Re: Is this ALL good advise

On Wednesday 04 December 2019 16:17:46 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 04 dec 19, 12:49:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Which bring me to the table to ask about protonmail. Who pays for
> > that supposedly secure service at the end of the month? Simple
> > TANSTAAFL, a law that can't be broken and have survivors, John.
>
> The free account is quite restricted (500 MB, 150 messages per day).
> This is more than enough for me for the stuff I don't want on GMail.
>
> If you need more than that you must upgrade to a paid account.
>
> > And an it follows question, how does it work with mailing lists such
> > as this one?
>
> What's the point in using something like ProtonMail with a publicly
> archived mailing list?

My point exactly.  That means two accounts at your isp, I think mine
charges only after the 2nd one, and two active fetchmail/procmail
sessions = more trouble than it worth. Me? I got the heck off gmail
years ago for lack of privacy reasons, and I frankly don't understand
why the rest of the planet hasn't bailed out for the same reasons.

> > Have had a fire it took an extinguisher to put out last Friday in my
> > main box, I've stuff coming that enough bigger/faster to consider
> > such an option, but I fail to see how it will work with a mailing
> > list which is probably 95+ percent of my email traffic here.  Much
> > of which is signed, but kmail, for the first time ever, confirmed a
> > good signature about 2 weeks back so that gives one an idea of how
> > many, including me, don't fully understand how to use a gpg
> > signature correctly.
> >
> > IMO it needs far more educationally aimed discussion than the lists
> > in general have supported so far. Even a pointer to a good tut would
> > be appreciated at this campsite. A tut that is NOT written as a
> > commercial for a certain email agent, but simply specifies what
> > needs to be done.
>
> In any case you will be needing key(s).
> See https://wiki.debian.org/GnuPG for how to generate and manage them.

And these are not the same keys used with an ssh -Y pi@rpi4 connection. I
use those to operate the rest of the machinery here for maintenance.

> How to use the key(s) with a particular mail client depends on the
> mail client ;). I would expect most of the "traditional" mail clients
> on Linux[1] with GPG support to pick up the key(s) automatically if
> you use default locations.

I'd assume so too. Until proven otherwise.

> [1] (neo)mutt, Sylpheed, Claws Mail, Evolution, KMail, etc.

My kmail is TDE's, might not be new enough.

> What is not explicitly mentioned there is that you should also somehow
> establish that a specific key belongs to the person, e.g. by meeting
> in person and comparing key fingerprints (and some photo ID if you
> don't know each other).

Which for me is a bit complex, and if travel required, costly.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thanks Andrei.

Cheers, Gene Heskett