Re: Configuring hotplugged input devices

On 2019-11-30 at 08:54, deloptes wrote:

> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>>> I want a solution for simple users, without root permissions to
>>> edit xorg.conf.
>>>
>>> If there is no standard solution, would you like one? I have a
>>> small program that can serve as the basis for one, I can publish
>>> it if that would be useful.
>>
>> This looks like a useful tool to have, so +1 from me.
>
> I don't know - what does exactly mean without root permissions to
> edit xorg.conf.

I understand this to mean: "there is a known way to achieve what I want
by editing xorg.conf, but I want a solution which can be configured and
adjusted by an ordinary user, and thus a solution which requires that
the user have permissions to edit xorg.conf is not viable".

Personally, I suspect that the answer is that no solution which
satisfies the specified criteria exists; it wouldn't even surprise me if
one can't be created, at least not without the intermediary of a suid
binary (and I'm not fully clear on what such a binary would do). But for
all I know there might be something, and I'm not interested in provoking
flames, so I've kept quiet.

--
   The Wanderer