Configuring hotplugged input devices

Hi.

What is the standard for a user to automatically configure hotplugged
input devices under X11, to set the keyboard layout, repeat speed,
pointer acceleration, etc.?

I know how to do it manually using xinput and xkbcomp.

I would like a generic solution, whatever desktop environment may
propose its own solution, I do not use it.

I want a solution for simple users, without root permissions to edit
xorg.conf.

If there is no standard solution, would you like one? I have a small
program that can serve as the basis for one, I can publish it if that
would be useful.

Extra question:

Is there a standard way to bind a key on a specific keyboard? Basically
an XInput-aware version of xbindkeys?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George