Re: Latest KDE packages update removed KDE

Quoting Dan Ritter (2019-10-23 20:52:07)
> An Liu wrote:
> > >

> > > Reason this option is not enabled by default is, as I understand it,
> > > that a) downgrades are officially unsupported (in reality they commonly
> > > work,
> >

> > Glad to hear this. Now i had a answer to this question:  does debian
> > package management system have
> > a downgrade mechanism similar to 'yum'.
> >
> > we hardly need it, but if it is the time you need it, it could save you
> > from chaos. :)
>
> Figure out the package versions you want, and tell apt to
> install them directly; to install foobar version 3.2.1-1+deb9u1:
>
> apt install foobar=3.2.1-1+deb9u1
>
> You can specify multiple packages this way, and remove packages
> by appending a - to the end of their name instead of a version.

Or if you have temporarily added testing suite to an otherwise unstable
system - e.g. to escape a mess like the one initiating this thread:

  apt install foobar/testing

...but in this current case you would need to juggle some 20-30 library
conflicts at once, so you would be tremendously helped by the fullscreen
mode of aptitude where you can interactively compose a complex _set_ of
changes and then apply all changes in one go (literally executing the
set by pressing "g" as in go).

Now, to repeat myself, because this is important: It is *NOT* supported
to mix multiple suites, and it is *NOT* supported to downgrade packages.
Do whatever you like on your systems - blow thenm up or pollute them
with deb-multimedia crap if that's your fancy - just please pretty
please _mention_ that you run a Frankendeb system when reporting bugs
experienced on such systems.

 - Jonas