x and virtual consoles

Hello,

For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.

The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:

  1. log in via lightdm/gdm
  2. switch to a text console
  3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
  4. switch back to first session

At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
after the x session crashed.

What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.

Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
Stretch.

Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
without noticing?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/