Re: x and virtual consoles

Ed wrote:

> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:
>
> 1. log in via lightdm/gdm
> 2. switch to a text console
> 3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
> 4. switch back to first session
>
> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.
>
> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
> user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
> Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?

IMO you can not run multiple X sessions from the same user. I am not 100%
sure, but I can imagine what would happen with the session manager.

AFAIR if you start a new X session it will take the next virtual available.

So if your first session is on vt7 (CTRL) ALT+F7 the next one will be on
(CTRL) ALT+F8.

I have used this only with different users and from the login manager or
from the desktop by starting new user session.

Doing it from the same user makes no sense IMO. Why would you do this?

regards