Re: x and virtual consoles

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:01:57 +0100
Ed <ed-debian@s5h.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:
>
>   1. log in via lightdm/gdm
>   2. switch to a text console
>   3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
>   4. switch back to first session
>
> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console
> can cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins
> only.
>
> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run
> several user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during
> Jessie or Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?

Indeed the problem seems reproducible for debian Stretch with sddm display manager.
The only logs appearing are from KDE applications (nothing in X11 logs):
```
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kpasswdserver[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kuiserver[958]: kuiserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kglobalaccel[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]:       after 947 requests (947 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.KScreen[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
```

Unfortunately my PC even worse gets stuck after that so I cant really tell if X11 is running.
I hadn't used multiple x sessions for sometime (after I got used to multiple desktops) but this seems an issue.