Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

On Mon 29 Jul 2019 at 10:05:19 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:34:25 -0400 Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > In a single-family house, Powerline is about as secure as wired
> > > ethernet: you need to come in and plug something in to spy on
> > > it.
> >
> > Most people won't have RF blocking filters at their house electricity
> > inlet, so there may be some leakage to the next house that's on the
> > same phase.
> >
> > I can get a reliable connection on the end of about 100ft of house and
> > extension cable, so I wouldn't be surprised to be able to find a signal
> > in another house.
>
> I went over to my neighbor's house last year and tried it out.
> Nothing.
>
> It's possible that we're exceptional.

Presumably you checked that you share the transformer? We get our
power from the poles on the other side of the street. Our neighbours
on each side get theirs from the rear easement which makes a 3-blocks
length journey for any signal.

> > Presumably, when we speak of security here, we're not talking about
> > accidental reception, wi-fi WEP would be sufficient to prevent this,
> > but a deliberate attempt to break in. We could assume that someone
> > trying to get into a power-line link would be able to amplify the
> > signals involved.
>
> Most single-family homes have an external outlet or two. It
> would be quite feasible to install a powerline-to-wifi adapter
> there and get access that way.

Good point. People might not notice the device. Our external outlets
run off switches inside the house—the architects thought this was
remarkable.

> On the other hand, I leave my wifi open and unsecured, because
> it's attached to the outside of my security zones, not the
> inside.

I don't quite understand. What do you use the wifi for? And what
runs inside your security zones?

Cheers,
David.