Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:34:25 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> In a single-family house, Powerline is about as secure as wired
> ethernet: you need to come in and plug something in to spy on
> it.

Most people won't have RF blocking filters at their house electricity
inlet, so there may be some leakage to the next house that's on the
same phase.

I can get a reliable connection on the end of about 100ft of house and
extension cable, so I wouldn't be surprised to be able to find a signal
in another house.

Presumably, when we speak of security here, we're not talking about
accidental reception, wi-fi WEP would be sufficient to prevent this,
but a deliberate attempt to break in. We could assume that someone
trying to get into a power-line link would be able to amplify the
signals involved.

--
Joe