Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:34:25 -0400
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>

> > In a single-family house, Powerline is about as secure as wired
> > ethernet: you need to come in and plug something in to spy on
> > it.
>
> Most people won't have RF blocking filters at their house electricity
> inlet, so there may be some leakage to the next house that's on the
> same phase.
>
> I can get a reliable connection on the end of about 100ft of house and
> extension cable, so I wouldn't be surprised to be able to find a signal
> in another house.

I went over to my neighbor's house last year and tried it out.
Nothing.

It's possible that we're exceptional.

> Presumably, when we speak of security here, we're not talking about
> accidental reception, wi-fi WEP would be sufficient to prevent this,
> but a deliberate attempt to break in. We could assume that someone
> trying to get into a power-line link would be able to amplify the
> signals involved.

Most single-family homes have an external outlet or two. It
would be quite feasible to install a powerline-to-wifi adapter
there and get access that way.

On the other hand, I leave my wifi open and unsecured, because
it's attached to the outside of my security zones, not the
inside.

-dsr-