Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 05:40:40 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Sneakernet for file transfer has become annoying.
> Ethernet is undesirable in my environment so I am only interested is
> wireless.
> I have only a few machines a max of 6' apart.
> My usage would typically be peer-to-peer but I want to communicate
> between any two machines.
> My web connectivity is via a T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot (WiFi turned off).
> I run Debian 9.8.
>
> I've just begun reading - primarily Wikipedia articles and some links
> from them.  My primary question is "What should I be reading?" in order
> to ask appropriate questions. Specificallty "What?" and "Why?" much more
> than "Howto?".
>
> A concern is security issues. Bluetooth, being short range, may thus
> have an advantage. Speed is not an issue for my expected usage. (I was
> one of my ISP's last 6 dial-up clients ;)

Since your machines are very close together, take a look at USB to USB
networking.

It's wired, so more secure than any type of wireless. Fast or reasonably
so depending on type of USB -- 2? 3?  Minimum investment.  USB cables
are cheap. With Ethernet, besides extra cables, you'd have to buy at
least a switch. And as most computers have multiple USB ports, it's
easy to set up.