Re: column - how to get it updated?

On 2019-07-26, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

>> That this stumbling block presents an insurmountable challenge to the
>> development community defies the intellectual capacities of your
>> admittedly naive correspondent.
>
> It's not insurmountable.  The package maintainers simply have to work
> together and decide how to handle the situation.  If both of them rename
> their "column" commands, then the alternatives system can be employed.

Teemu Likonen has just now suggested, in an addendum to bug # 908975,
"/usr/bin/bcolumn (bsdmainutils) and /usr/bin/lcolumn (linux-util)," a
fair and dignified solution to the conflict which should satisfy all
parties (though you never know, do you), and one perfectly amenable to
the /etc/alternatives system.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan