Petitboot information?

I had never heard of petitboot until reading a debian-accessibility thread [Can grub be made to talk?].

The information at:
  https://packages.debian.org/buster/petitboot
  https://manpages.debian.org/buster/petitboot/petitboot.8.en.html
was just enough to tantalize.

Some references imply it remedies some Grub features I dislike.
https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Complete_accessibility states:
Petitboot provides the list of kernels to boot, and permits to
append parameters, and then uses kexec to boot the desired kernel
with the desired options.
That reference gives instructions for installing on a standard Debian system. This weekend I will install it on a laptop dedicated to experimentation to verify it gives the desired user experience.

I've found references {e.g. https://www.raptorengineering.com/content/kb/1.html} which discuss creating a bios rom replacement. As a minimalist, that grabs my attention. How small can a partition be whose sole purpose is running petitboot.

I'm looking for links discussing petitboot itself and surveys of how people have used it on standard desktops/laptops.

TIA