Re: column - how to get it updated?

On 2019-07-26, davidson <davidson@freevolt.org> wrote:

>>> How can we persuade the Debian bsdmainutils package maintainers to
>>> allow the Linux version of column to be shipped?
>>
>> Can't they all get along by using /etc/alternatives?
>
> I don't think file collisions are the kind of thing the debian
> alternatives system is meant to solve.

It seems to me /etc/alternatives provides a mechanism by which you can
choose a default among two or more programs with similar functions.

The problem here appears to be that both packages provide a utility that
shares the same name (column), which violates Debian policy (according
to Andreas Henriksson in the referenced bug report).

That this stumbling block presents an insurmountable challenge to the
development community defies the intellectual capacities of your
admittedly naive correspondent.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan