Re: sending mail via a script

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 22:39:57 +0100
mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2019-07-16 08:18, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 15 iul 19, 06:21:28, Dan Ritter wrote:
> >> Reco wrote:
> >>
> >> Why do you think they have that requirement?
> >>
> >> It's entirely because IPs without PTR records are more likely to
> >> be spammers than those who do. Specfically, because it's an
> >> indication that the person running the machine didn't set it up
> >> as a server, or doesn't know what they are doing.
> >
> > Or is trying to run the server on an IP without a (useful) PTR
> > record, e.g. a "personal" ISP account.
> >
> > This requirement mitigates somewhat the spam problem, at the
> > expense of making it much harder/costlier for individuals to run
> > their own mail server.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>

>   well when I became aware of all this stuff, I thought this is
> great, everybody can connect and do what they like, if of course
> following protocols.
> But you can't do that can you ? you have to connect through a service
> provider.

You can in the UK. You need to use an ISP who will provide a fixed IP
address (most do, though BT will charge an extra tenner a month for the
privilege) and who takes care to stay off email blacklists. I stayed
with Demon long after it was a competent ISP because I had no trouble
sending email. I've been with Plusnet for nearly two years, and have
had no problems.

But yes, sooner or later, Internet regulation will reach the point
where governments will permit only licensed organisations to send
email, and a licence will not be cheap.

--
Joe