Re: Keyboard layout reset when launching X under display managers

On 2019-07-17, David Banks <amoebae@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, using Buster, I have my /etc/default/keyboard set up like this:
>
>     XKBOPTIONS="pc105"
>     XKBLAYOUT="gb"
>     XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:nocaps"
>     BACKSPACE="guess"
>     XKBVARIANT=""
>
> I am using Fluxbox without any configuration.   When I launch Fluxbox
> through GDM, my keyboard layout does not get applied.  Inside fluxbox,
> in a terminal I run "setxkbmap -query":
>
>     rules:      evdev
>     model:      pc105
>     layout:     us
>
> As you can see, the XKBOPTIONS have been applied, but somehow the
> layout has not been applied, or has been overwritten.

As you mentioned GDM, it's possible your settings are being
overridden by 'gsettings'.

To verify that hypothesis:
 gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources xkb-options

Reset if necessary with:
 gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.input-sources xkb-options

(All gleaned from the Debian keyboard wiki.)

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan