Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

On 2019-07-12, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Either way it won't break (a hint - Recommends weren't always the
>> default), or the user will learn something new in a process.
>
> I'm pretty sure Jonas was around when that happened ;)

I've always used apt-get until apt rolled around recently and never
encountered any impediments to the full appreciation of my applications.

Maybe it's because I usually install the kitchen sink anyway.

There is a problem of vocabulary, though, because the difference between
a suggestion and a recommendation is pretty thin, though certainly
existent, and both express the idea of a conscious, deliberate action of
acceptance by the person to whom the recommendation or suggestion is
made (rejection requiring only that he or she not act upon it).
Rendering the following of a recommendation a default needing no user
action whatsoever thus seems to run counter to the denotation of the
term itself.

It surprises me little, given the above, that even some developers were
(or are still) confused about the matter (which someone mentioned
elsewhere in this thread).

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan