Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

Quoting John Crawley (2019-07-12 22:52:55)
> On 2019-07-13 06:39, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > ...some developers wrongly thought that recommends was same as
> > suggests and therefore used depends far more than really needed.
>
> This. Installing with Recommends used to pull in a whole slew of
> things that should have been Suggests, so users got into the habit of
> installing without.
>
>  > The bug got fixed, and slowly developers learned to make proper use
>  > of recommends as it was always intended.
>
> Most developers anyway.
>
> I remember when Debian systems started installing Recommends /by
> default/ - and there was an outcry - but was this a fixed bug in
> apt-get itself? Wasn't Debian Policy also amended a bit at that point
> to make the purpose of Recommends clearer? Or had it always been that
> way...

Yes, it was a bugfix: Before the change apt-get was _broken_ and after
the change apt-get behaved as intended.

Yes, there has over the years been various edits to Policy which only
clarified existing meaning, without changing any meaning - including
clarifications to what "Recommends" means.

Yes, some interpreted things differently and wanted back the "good old
days" - despite being unintended and undocumented and suboptimal.

Yes, some developers took quite some time to adapt to the "new" reality
of a properly working apt-get - and possibly some developers still are
living in a bubble.  I hope not.

> Anyway, even if your system default is to install Recommends, apt-get
> (and apt too?) always gets user approval before installing anything
> beyond the package asked for. If the list looks too long (s)he can
> always hit (N) and try again with 'apt-get install
> --no-install-recommends <package>'

...and suppressing recommends exeptionally like that is quite sensible.

Again, my strong criticism is only suppressing recommends by *default*.

 - Jonas