Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

Quoting Andrei POPESCU (2019-07-12 18:17:49)
> On Vi, 12 iul 19, 20:21:08, Reco wrote:
> > I say - if the user wants to "break" a system by not installing the
> > Recommends - let them. Whenever it's curiosity, a way of learning
> > something new or just a wish to do an OS liposuction.
>
> Sure.
>
> Still, I would avoid recommending (ha!) turning off Recommends except
> if a poster has a specific problem that might be solved by it (e.g.
> space constraints).
>
> > Either way it won't break (a hint - Recommends weren't always the
> > default), or the user will learn something new in a process.
>
> I'm pretty sure Jonas was around when that happened ;)

Right: When APT was introduced, the command-line tool apt-get was
initially intended only as a demo of what the engine could do and lacked
some features - most notably it had a bug so that it wrongly treated all
recommends same as suggests.

Personally I didn't notice that because I switched to using the far more
powerful APT frontend aptitude when that emerged, but apt-get was
popular and some developers wrongly thought that recommends was same as
suggests and therefore used depends far more than really needed.

The bug got fixed, and slowly developers learned to make proper use of
recommends as it was always intended.

 - Jonas