Re: fix for no ssh

On 2019-07-08, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 08 iul 19, 09:44:51, Curt wrote:

>> > Is there something wrong with the current wording?

>> I guess, as I thought I was referring to the release-notes, which
>> haven't been.

> English is not my first language so I'm not sure what you mean here.
> Please kindly rephrase.

I thought you were saying that
'/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' remains a valid mechanism
for defining interface names in Buster (fixed). But the release-notes
(hmm, I think they've been modified since I last looked and now state
that that file is no longer "officially" supported by udev---but may
work in some cases). So I wouldn't be filing a bug report against that
stanza any longer, as current situation seems unverifiable.

Sorry if I'm unclear.

> If there is still some inaccuracy please do provide more details
> (preferably with references) otherwise it's impossible to fix.

>> > Yes, please! I'm sure you know how to use reportbug ;)

>> Actually, I don't, but I could give it a try.
>
> You've been using Debian long enough, I'm sure you'll work it out ;)
>
>> There was some uncertainty in a recent thread about whether "it" had
>> been fixed or not.
>
> With "it" being...

Whether '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' was respected or not
as means of defining interface names.

>> > I have no idea which daemons on my system are using getramdom().
>
>> You got me there. AFAIK, openssh and openssl.
>
> Apparently nowadays many daemons need it, and not only for encryption
> (e.g. to generate UUIDs).

Well, at the very least people should be informed who is likely to be
affected by the bug, and for those using amd64 how to check for the RDRAND
instruction, as well as what to do about it if they don't have it
(that's what I'd like to know, at any rate).

--
"These findings demonstrate that under appropriate conditions the isolated,
intact large mammalian brain possesses an underappreciated capacity for