Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?)

On Monday 27 May 2019 02:56:07 am tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:41:36AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I don't think so. ipv6 I'm sure is nice where its available.  Where
> > it is not available, its a pain in the ass because even if you set
> > it up as a static ipv4, N-M will tear it down in 5 minutes or less.
> > And N-M is a dependency because most have a dhcpd running, probably
> > in the router by default.
> >
> > You are determined to exterminate any and all users of a hosts file,
> > staticly defined network. Its ideal for small home networks.
>
> [...]
>
> I've been following this monster thread with one eye (sorry, not
> enough bandwidth at the moment) and I think, Gene, you're barking up
> the wrong tree.
>
> IPv6 can coexist nicely with IPv4 (this is by design). My work laptop
> (which is my only work box) has both stacks up and running. Most
> places I'm at don't even know IPv6 exist. My ISP at home likewise. But
> my home router does, so I can magically "ping6" the more intelligent
> hosts at home, without having had to configure anything.
>
> If Network Manager is giving you grief, please go bark up /that/ tree
> (I can't say much about N-M, because I banned it from my boxes about
> ten years ago: I was at a customer's, in his LAN via an Ethernet, when
> N-M suddenly saw a WLAN out there, out the window and said "oh, let's
> go online over there" and obliterated my network setting in favor of
> some seedy captive portal. That was when I decided that N-M and me,
> we aren't made for each other).
>
> Cheers
> -- t
I agree totally Tomas. but its tied up in dependencies so bad it nukes
the whole system if you try to remove it. Here I am tempted to fire up a
root session of mc, and wear out the F8 key because I also have
something going on that kills hid-common, so I have no input system.
That has limited my uptime to under a week, sometimes under a day.

Whether brute-force killing of N-M will fix the input lockups remains to
be tested by this method.  It was locked sometime in the night when I
woke up to feed the missus about 7ish. And both the lack of a
spamassasin start, bad expired certificate, ditto for clamscand I have
yet to see the complete lines before the lockup, the log is being
spammed at about 300 lines a minute, so I will next time set the konsole
history to unlimited, and tail -fn100000 /var/log/syslog.  Maybe that
will get me back to before the reboot.  Humm, less got me back far
enough, but what I see is crazy:

May 27 02:53:00 coyote spamd[2309]: prefork: child states: II
May 27 02:54:14 coyote usbhid-ups[775]: libusb_get_report: could not
claim interface 0: Device or resource busy
May 27 02:56:01 coyote CRON[6375]: (gene) CMD (/home/gene/bin/remindX)
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Started udev Coldplug all Devices.
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Starting udev Wait for Complete Device
Initialization...
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd-modules-load[307]: Inserted module 'lp'
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd-modules-load[307]: Inserted module 'ppdev'
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Started Create Static Device Nodes
in /dev.
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Started Set the console keyboard
layout.
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Reached target Local File Systems
(Pre).
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd-modules-load[307]: Inserted
module 'parport_pc'
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Started Load Kernel Modules.
May 27 09:04:37 coyote kernel: [    0.000000] Linux version
4.9.0-9-rt-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 6.3.0
20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian
4.9.168-1+deb9u2 (2019-05-13)
May 27 09:04:37 coyote systemd[1]: Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
May 27 09:04:37 coyote kernel: [    0.000000] Command line:
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.9.0-9-rt-amd64 root=UUID=0e698024-1cf3

And there's at least another 500-1000 lines with the clock frozen at
09:04:37.  Crazy...

The beginning of the crash is the 2nd line of this, usb-common has died.
Thats all I know for sure right now. I had to use the front panel reset
button to reboot it, something I've had to do quite a few times since a
new stretch install 3 weeks ago now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)