Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?)

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:41:36AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> I don't think so. ipv6 I'm sure is nice where its available.  Where it is
> not available, its a pain in the ass because even if you set it up as a
> static ipv4, N-M will tear it down in 5 minutes or less. And N-M is a
> dependency because most have a dhcpd running, probably in the router by
> default.
>
> You are determined to exterminate any and all users of a hosts file,
> staticly defined network. Its ideal for small home networks.

[...]

I've been following this monster thread with one eye (sorry, not enough
bandwidth at the moment) and I think, Gene, you're barking up the wrong
tree.

IPv6 can coexist nicely with IPv4 (this is by design). My work laptop
(which is my only work box) has both stacks up and running. Most places
I'm at don't even know IPv6 exist. My ISP at home likewise. But my home
router does, so I can magically "ping6" the more intelligent hosts
at home, without having had to configure anything.

If Network Manager is giving you grief, please go bark up /that/ tree
(I can't say much about N-M, because I banned it from my boxes about
ten years ago: I was at a customer's, in his LAN via an Ethernet, when
N-M suddenly saw a WLAN out there, out the window and said "oh, let's
go online over there" and obliterated my network setting in favor of
some seedy captive portal. That was when I decided that N-M and me,
we aren't made for each other).

Cheers
-- t