Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?)

On 05/28/2019 08:02 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 27 May 2019 11:18:49 pm Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:
On Monday 27 May 2019 03:42:52 pm Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-05-27 19:42:46)

On Monday 27 May 2019 03:46:00 am Curt wrote:
On 2019-05-27, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
If Network Manager is giving you grief, please go bark up
/that/ tree (I can't say much about N-M, because I banned it
from my boxes about ten years ago: I was at a customer's, in
his LAN via an Ethernet, when N-M suddenly saw a WLAN out
there, out the window and said "oh, let's go online over
there" and obliterated my network setting in favor of some
seedy captive portal. That was when I decided that N-M and
me, we aren't made for each other).
This is a grave bug. I suppose we can assume from your
description that the seedier the wifi portal, the more likely
it is to spontaneously occur, despite any and all user
configuration or intervention.
This would appear to be more common, but as far as filing a bug
report, I logged in to do something in 2015, creating a new
account at the time, so now it refuses to let me in because the
username content rules have been changed and my username is now
invalid.  And because it knows my email address, it won't let me
create a new account. So its the classic chicken v egg. I am
locked out, so I rant on this list.
Account? You need no account to report bugs in Debian:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
So that indicates I should have apt install reportbug, so I did.
Configured it on 1st run. then became me and ran it again.  It never
heard of NetworkManager or Network-Manager.  WTH?
Debian package names are all lower case, and for better or worse the
package management software is case-sensitive.
A detail I had forgotten due to all the capitalization used to refer to
it publicly.

snowball:532$ reportbug
Please enter the name of the package in which you have found a
problem, or type 'other' to report a more general problem. If you
don't know what package the bug is in, please contact
debian-user@lists.debian.org for assistance.

network-manager
*** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address
of the submitter). Detected character set: UTF-8
Please change your locale if this is incorrect.

Using 'Joe Pfeiffer <joseph@pfeifferfamily.net>' as your from address.
Getting status for network-manager...
Checking for newer versions at madison...

Your version (1.14.6-2) of network-manager appears to be out of date.
The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
   experimental: 1.18.0-1
Please try to verify if the bug you are about to report is already
addressed by these releases.  Do you still want to file a report
[y|N|q|?]?
And this exposes something in debian's policy I object to, as strenuously
as I can. A newer version may well fix the bug, but its never given to
the users until they upgrade to the next release, and that brings a
never shrinking list of new bugs.

The withholding of showstopper bug fixes from a released version, by
putting them in an experimental category where only a very small inner
circle has access to them is not an impressive idea.

IMO a showstopper bugfix should be offered immediately to all releases
currently supported. The wheezy version of firefox may have been
marginally better than a horse with 3 broken legs, (another leg was
broken by each update as it was during wheezy) but we were denied the
improved versions as a matter of "policy". IMO, that sucks dead toads
thru soda straws. But I don't set policy. It is what it is, but thats
how this diehard fan of debian see's it.

TBT, I'd be happy paying say $100 year for a seat at the table where
serious bugs were fixed while the release was still alive. Not however
on a machine count basis as RH is doing. That would satisfy me as a good
TANSTAAFL compromise, and would, I'd think buy a longer ladder up the
side of the hog for the folks actually doing the work. I am sure they
would appreciate that!
(at which point I entered a ^C since I didn't actually want to report
a bug)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
 How about moving this thread to a Developer's mailing list?

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net        Stochastic and multivariate