Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?)

On Sunday 26 May 2019 10:09:49 pm Andy Smith wrote:

> [...]
> > > keep stating. Did IPv6 use all your toilet paper and kick your dog
> > > or something?
> >
> > You just pulled my trigger.
> >
> > No Andy, it didn't drink my last beer (Murphy does that), or kill
> > any kittens but it did totally disable ipv4. How? Simply by refusing
> > to apply a route/gateway to the ipv4 settings we do manually.
>
> Can you show the archive link to the email where it was established
> that having IPv6 enabled in the kernel prevented your IPv4
> configuration from being applied?
>
> Otherwise that is a very strange thing to keep asserting.
>
> > And depending on the phase of the moon, those of us on host file
> > networks are forced to edit the /e/n/i/config files and
> > immediately chattr +i them in order to protect them from N-M's
> > incessant meddling, ditto for resolv.conf, which we have to make
> > into a real file, and chattr +i it for the same reason.  For a
> > while we could remove N-M on armhf-jessie but now its somehow
> > linked to our choice of desktops so the only way is to rm it by
> > hand, or chattr +i everything it touches. N-M at least has the
> > common decency to not complain or go crazy when it finds itself
> > locked out of its playpen. Unforch I can't say the same for hpfax,
> > in the hplip package you get with cups.  Its crashed this machine
> > 6 or 7 times by killing hid-common, leaving the only working
> > button the reset button on the machines front panel. Somebody put
> > a call to hpfax in the root crontab, and when it gets called with
> > nothing to do it goes postal killing all input devices on the usb
> > bus by killing hid-common.  A separate problem of course, one that
> > hp needs to fix before buster goes live.
>
> Unclear how any of the above is or could ever be related to IPv6.
>
> > You folks with ipv6 all think we should all just switch and be done
> > with it,
>
> Vast majority of Linux users already switched to having IPv6
> enabled, because it has been enabled by default for years, and IPv6
> addresses appear on every interface.
>
> If you are finding bugs then it would be good to report them instead
> of howling at the moon.
>
> > You all claim that N-M won't bother an interface defined as static.
> > Thats an outright blatant lie,
>
> I'm sure I may have said that somewhere although I don't think I've
> said it to you. But also, it doesn't seem to have any relationship
> to IPv6.
>
> Again, I suggest if you find bugs in NetworkManager that you report
> them, not invoke the IPv6 bogey man until and unless you're certain
> that it is that dread creature which plagues you.
>
> > Put a kill switch in that puppy. defaulted to off. And take a survey
> > to see how many have turned it on a year from now. I'll be
> > apologetic if its more than the 5% carrying their lappy to dunkin
> > donuts.
>
> Could you apologise right now then since IPv6 has already been
> enabled for decades and the vast majority of users experience no

I don't think so. ipv6 I'm sure is nice where its available.  Where it is
not available, its a pain in the ass because even if you set it up as a
static ipv4, N-M will tear it down in 5 minutes or less. And N-M is a
dependency because most have a dhcpd running, probably in the router by
default.

You are determined to exterminate any and all users of a hosts file,
staticly defined network. Its ideal for small home networks.

The SOB (N-M) ignores the word static in the stretch version, so I'm back
to a decade ago when N-M was new. Doing my config file edits quickly,
because when you save it, the next thing you'd better to is a root
chattr +i to that file, then go on to nuking the /etc/resolv.conf link
and make a real file that only has 2 lines, the first defining the
nameservers address, the 2nd saying dnssearch hosts, nameserver.  Save
it and weld it down with a root chattr +i so N-M can't screw with it.

And since stretch, if theres even a hint of a sniff of ipv6 being setup,
the net tools will NOT assign a route/gateway to the ipv4 config. So
your hosts file entries all work, but ping yahoo.com. network
unreachable.

/ipv6 rant.

> Rants aren't so bad, it's when they are utterly clueless and devoid
> of factual content one could tend to come off looking like an
> absolute lunatic.

The facts have been stated. If you choose to not believe them, that is
your problem.

> Hopefully though you aren't a lunatic and can point me to this exact
> situation where the enablement of IPv6 in your kernel caused
> something to break, cos then we can get some bugs fixed instead of
> just spilling more performance art onto the interwebs.

I'd love to file bugs, but I only have one email address.  And nominally
80 milliseconds after I enter it in an account form, "its already
taken". So I can't file the bug without logging in, and I can't login
because it heard of gheskett@shentel.net back in 2015 according o my
records in FF. And the username I used then now contains an illegal
character. I guess somebody changed the rules for usernames?

It is for sure, one way to cut down on the bug reports isn't it?

> Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)