Re: pmount could perhaps be of greater utility?

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 22:15, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 10:12:10AM +1000, David wrote:

> > Maybe you would enjoy answering this question then?
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bash/2019-05/msg00000.html
> >
> > Because apparently no-one else has, hehe :D
>
> You didn't like my answer?

I did. I encourage people to read everything you write on shells.
Your dedication to promoting good practice is astounding.

I apologise for the slow reply, but at the moment I have insufficient
time to keep up with messages here, especially ones that run off
track.

I linked to that thread because I thought it (including your answer)
was a useful addition to the discussion in this one.

I noticed my message later described as a "shot across the bows".
That phrase as I understand it describes a violent threat of physical harm
intended to create fear that will cause another party to change their
behaviour.

On the contrary. I was attempting to add information and context in
a friendly and light-hearted manner (there was a "Hi", a "hehe" and
a ":D") but it seems that wasn't enough to make the intention clear.

> (The OP clarified in a subsequent post that (s)he is trying to implement
> syntax highlighting for some kind of text editor.  (S)he wants to support
> the behavior of this ridiculous code just in case some foolish end
> user writes it.  (S)he's not actually writing a script.  For people who
> *are* actually writing scripts, the solution is exactly as I described.)

I know. I am grateful for his previous work to provide syntax highlighting.
Although lately I am starting to prefer vim, depending on the task.

The code there is ridiculous, except as an example for a parsing
question which I think was its purpose. I thank KHMan for his completely
unselfish effort to write editor code that tries to correctly deal with whatever
crap other people might throw into it. I suppose a solution could for
unparseable code to remain uncoloured. It can be very distracting when
syntax highlighting is incorrect.