Re: firefox > Preferences > When Firefox starts.

On Wed 24 Apr 2019 at 16:20:21 (+0000), der.hans wrote:
> Am 24. Apr, 2019 schwätzte David Wright so:
> > On Tue 23 Apr 2019 at 18:15:03 (+0000), der.hans wrote:

[I agree with you replies, snipped]

> > > I currently run different browser instances for different tasks I want to
> > > isolate.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to stop different browser commands jumping into an
> > existing browser instance. I presume there are ways, but I find it
> > simpler to just use different users.
>
> Do you mean when an application launches a browser?

Yes. Usually I start a browser with a bash function as posted
earlier. Sometimes I use a bash function to open a Tab, even
where I could have done it with a corresponding bookmark.

But sometimes I'd start FF by pressing Return on an HTML in mc.
However, for a long time I've closed that off by having mc call
up lynx with localhost or w3m with -dump. Similarly, mutt only
uses lynx in the same manner.

But when I had used FF in such situations, the page always found a
running instance of FF (appropriate to the user concerned).

> I haven't found a way to specify the default browser for external apps.
> That would be useful.

If I'm understanding you, I think this came up here recently: the
links /etc/alternatives/{gnome-,x-,}www-browser should point to
the appropriate binary.

> > Interesting stuff: perhaps the making of a wiki.
>
> I'm way behind on creating documentation.
>
> I'll add that to my list of things for an upcoming trip.

You're very public-spirited.

Cheers,
David.