Re: firefox > Preferences > When Firefox starts.

On 4/24/19, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> [I presume that replying only to me was a mistake.]

Nope, responding to your "my /etc/hosts file has ~14000 lines" didn't
seem all that germane to the thread.  & not that this is either, but
if you'd prefer to keep it on the list I don't mind.

> On Tue 23 Apr 2019 at 10:38:41 (-0400), Lee wrote:

>> > I tend to forget that, because my /etc/hosts file has ~14000 lines,
>> > pages appear a lot faster here.
>>
>> Have you looked at bind's dns rpz?
>
> Just now.
>
>>   http://zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/rpz.html
>> It lets you do things like
>> *.2o7.net               CNAME   .
>> *.doubleclick.net       CNAME   .
>>
>> to block entire domains instead of having to list each and every
>> hostname in the domain.
>>
>> And you can log what is blocked/allowed to make troubleshooting easier
>
> It might be a good *mechanism* for the diversion itself, but AFAICT
> it's aimed at the *policy* implementers rather than the end-user.

Just out of curiosity - do you think pi-hole is aimed at policy
implementers or end users?

> The value I get from Dan Pollock is the list of sites rather than the
> most elegant mechanism for handling that list. Looking at the comments
> in the list, and by comparing evolving versions, it does appear that
> Dan actively "opens holes" where people report interference or
> difficulties using certain legitimate sites.
>
> Finally, I wouldn't know where to start to compile a list of sites
> like that.

https://dnsrpz.info/
If you're a business, you can buy access to an rpz feed.

If you're a [home?] network admin it's simple enough to enable logging
& see what all is allowed that you'd rather have blocked.  And/or grab
things like Dan Pollock's list and turn them into an rpz file.  I just
don't like the size & the churn in curated host files - I'd rather
have a single line
*.advertisingdomain.tld
and have them all blocked vs. the maybe hundreds of lines blocking
each specific host.

Regards,
Lee