Re: Attempting a VERY minimal install (using --no-install-recommends ;)

On 04/24/2019 12:54 PM, Georgios wrote:
My minimal install include just installing standard system utilities.

I believe I accomplished that.

I build my system after that without the use of --no-install-recommends.
Its better to install recommended packages for full functionality of the
installed packages.(Just my opinion)

No major disagreement there. However, quoting myself:
fending for oneself is a valuable educational experience compared
to having everything handed to you on a "golden platter" {Debian's
default installer}

My typical install is to accept everything. But this particular install is explicitly for investigating the other end of the spectrum. In the past I have done as many as a dozen full installs to investigate parameters of current interest.
I am retired, one of my hobbies might be said to be installing Debian ;}

ps. Im using xfce and i usually pick the packages i need.

I'm intentionally being a little more extreme.

ps2.Find your network hardware and see if it needs firmware installed.

I know it does not require a proprietary driver.
It is a USB device compatible with both Windows and Debian. My experience is that Debian initially sees it as a "disk" and then the software handling general USB devices downloads "something" from the device. After that it "just works" ;/

Check you