Re: firefox > Preferences > When Firefox starts.

[I presume that replying only to me was a mistake.]

On Tue 23 Apr 2019 at 10:38:41 (-0400), Lee wrote:
> On 4/22/19, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sun 21 Apr 2019 at 20:30:53 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> >>     From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
> >>     Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 16:13:11 -0500
> >>
> >> No.  Just wastes time.  Opening a simple local HTML home page requires
> >> roughly a minute rather than roughly a second.
> >
> > I tend to forget that, because my /etc/hosts file has ~14000 lines,
> > pages appear a lot faster here.
>
> Have you looked at bind's dns rpz?

Just now.

>   http://zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/rpz.html
> It lets you do things like
> *.2o7.net               CNAME   .
> *.doubleclick.net       CNAME   .
>
> to block entire domains instead of having to list each and every
> hostname in the domain.
>
> And you can log what is blocked/allowed to make troubleshooting easier

It might be a good *mechanism* for the diversion itself, but AFAICT
it's aimed at the *policy* implementers rather than the end-user.

The value I get from Dan Pollock is the list of sites rather than the
most elegant mechanism for handling that list. Looking at the comments
in the list, and by comparing evolving versions, it does appear that
Dan actively "opens holes" where people report interference or
difficulties using certain legitimate sites.

Finally, I wouldn't know where to start to compile a list of sites
like that.

Cheers,
David.