Re: firefox > Preferences > When Firefox starts.

On Sun 21 Apr 2019 at 20:30:53 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
>     Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 16:13:11 -0500
> > I run two instances of FF, one as me (for banking etc) and one as
> > another user (for browsing).
>
> Interesting.  Thanks.  For banking & etc. you have a dedicated user id
> and login?

The other way round: I bank as me, and browse as user "flash", hence
$ my-deblis-on-flashfirefox
which looks after changing user and allowing flash to display on
the X display. (It also checks that I don't try to run a browser if
I'm not using the most recent Debian version on that particular host.)
Thus, my own files are inaccessible by the flash browser.

> Drifting off the subject, but the banking I use invokes javascript. I
> would have thought that unnecessary.  Should be possible to accomplish
> the results with processing on the server and HTML5 on the client.
> Technology bloat?

Yes. Banks, like everyone else, seem to feel the need to indulge their
graphics fantasies on their websites. I guess it's pandering to the
smart phone generation. Speaking of which, I guess we're lucky to
still have Internet banking on computers; so much is now aimed at
mobiles. For a period, I had to login to Chase twice to get a
proper interface—the first login would give me the mobile's site,
with just two impotent buttons, period.

> > I just checked out clean shutdowns and restarts with my own
> > instance of FF and it's all OK.
>
> OK, thanks.  The complaint at firefox startup here is probably only
> following a crash of firefox.   Curt's suggestion to set
> browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes to 0 seems appropriate.
>
> > Does the behaviour reported in your OP cause you *great* concern?
>
> No.  Just wastes time.  Opening a simple local HTML home page requires
> roughly a minute rather than roughly a second.

I tend to forget that, because my /etc/hosts file has ~14000 lines,
pages appear a lot faster here.

> > I tried Opera on a slow laptop ...
>
> Thanks for mentioning that.

Yes, disappointing. The fix, for me, was /etc/hosts:
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
The only downside (which I don't understand) is that
# scp -p <TAB><TAB>
threatens to list ~14000 filename completions
(IOW every hostname in /etc/hosts), but *only* as root.

Cheers,
David.