Re: Stretch with MATE DE - odd new file association problem

On 17.04.2019 8:51, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 01:15:07PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
On 16.04.2019 12:08, Andy Smith wrote:
I don't have seamonkey installed so haven't tried myself, but does
it even run as root?

I don't use SeaMonkey either, but I'm pretty sure it does not need root
privileges to run. :)
My point is that the OP is asking why, when they click a link from
within a GUI app that is running as root (synaptic), the wrong
browser is launched. So what I am asking is, once the correct
browser is set up via alternatives, isn't it going to launch
seamonkey as root?
I was pretty sure it isn't gonna run browser as root. Because it is pretty silly mistake from a developer standpoint.
Let's double check:
    $ sudo ps aux | egrep "x-www-browser|synaptic"
    amak 2344 0.0 0.0 4280 744 ? S 10:08 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
    root 2345 0.6 0.8 557104 142048 ? Sl 10:08 0:02 /usr/sbin/synaptic
    amak 2378 1.1 1.4 2121228 244576 ? Sl 10:09 0:03 /usr/bin/x-www-browser http://0install.net/

It looks like Synaptic starts with user privileges as a wrapper and PolicyKit asks for root privileges to spawn actual synaptic process.
So Synaptic's UI and every process (e.g. x-www-browser) it spawns later will run with user privileges.
Special actions, like package installation or removal, will be forwarded to real synaptic process which is running as root.

Further implication being, it is good to learn about the
alternatives system, but maybe not a great idea to solve this
problem this way.
There is no other sane way, I think. Synaptic will execute "x-www-browser <URL>" so this symlink has to point to actual browser
and to manage those symlinks in a convenient and controllable way, you should use "update-alternatives".
Of course, you can do the same thing by hand, but then you have to remember and keep track of all changes to your "/bin", "/usr/bin", etc, so you won't break anything later.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org