Re: Archival of Jessie: where did jessie-updates went ?

Le mar. 26 mars 2019 à 16:21, Curt <curty@free.fr> a écrit :

> https://backports.debian.org/
>
> > Backports are packages taken from the next Debian release (called "testing"),
> > adjusted and recompiled for usage on Debian stable.
>
> From that I infer that jessie-backports are like woolly mammoths.  The old
> bones may still be around somewhere, but the animals themselves are extinct.

Nice metaphor ! I admit it's playing with fire, but it might be
necessary on some situations. However, of what I understand, backports
are just packages from the release N+1 applied to the release. They
live within the life cycle of the N+1 release. They are not taken
totally out of the blue (in the sense that there are not from extinct
animals, but fully related to the N+1 release). For instance, the
packages in jessie-backports comes from stretch (who was then in
testing when the backports was first initiated for jessie). So IIRC,
major updates to stretch are then propagated to the backports in
jessie (within its lifecycle). You also have backports-sloppy, who
takes the jump of two release. But I never used theses. To big of a
stretch for me.

Thanks for your reference, because I still thought in the line of an
outdated policy that Debian expected to apply the LTS also to the
backports. It seems that it didn't worked out from the first
experiment in Squeeze so it was decided to put the backports in the
archive. This seems to be the reference Nicholas talked about. So now,
of course, if you're like me, bound to keep Jessie running while it's
in LTS lifespan while also depending on packages from jessie-backports
who are not maintained anymore, you've got to stretch yourself. Looks
likes this will eventually bumps our priorities to move everything to
stretch !