Re: Discussion? New names of betwork devices

Hi folks,

interesting thing, I found this little article in internet:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

So, it looks like, since systemd v197, all devicenames are now predictable by
udev.

If so (just an idea) packagers or developers may add a routine for the
installation, which may ask for the actual names of the devices in the system
and add them automatically into the configuration of the installing
application.

As these (the devicenames) will never change, also non experienced users have
to quarrel with the devicenames any more.

Just an idea, I do not know, how difficult it is, to write and add such a
routine into the installer as a script (I am no coder).

However, if one gets such a thing working, it can be used for EVERY package.
My idea is, to add a variable or a special keyword into the configuration file,
which will be automatically exchanged with the correct devicename.

Sorry, I can not do this myself (I am no coder, did I tell you?), just sharing
my ideas. Maybe someone think my ideas usefull. If not - just ignore them.

In this case I apologize for all the noise.

Have a nice weekend!

Best

Hans