Re: Discussion? New names of betwork devices

On Fri 22 Mar 2019 at 17:40:43 (+0100), Hans wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. März 2019, 17:15:29 CET schrieb Reco:

> > No, this is done by udev. It can be disabled, it can be configured, and
> > it can be left as is.
> >
> I know, that the old style can be kept by either using udev (withg persistent-
> net.rules for example) or by a kernel parm (something like "ifnet.rename=0, or
> similar, forgot the correct syntax)
>
> > > However, I discovered many packages, where are still the old names
> > > preconfigured with the old names.
> >
> > Some examples are in order.
> >
> I had to correct /etc/network/interfaces, kismet, wicd-*, powertweak, snort
> and some others. No big deal.

I don't think we've been told whether /e/n/i needed correcting after
installation, after a dist-upgrade, or some other circumstance.

> > Most of the server-side packages that I can think of are either bind to all
> > available interfaces by default, or bind to lo, which is still here.
>
> There were more the desktop users with laptops in my mind.
>

> > > I know, the last one might be problematic, because the developer never can
> > > know, whhich interface is used (eth0? eth1? wlan0? whatever)
> >
> > Or, for instance, en0p2gibberish. They call them Unpredictable Device
> > Named for a reason.
>
> Yes, thsis is another thing, which I am thinking of: The names could change
> (in case, when there are more than one network devices are active or the order
> of activing changed).

Can you elaborate on these name changes. AIUI the reason they're
jokingly called Unpredictable Device Names is because anyone who's not
into hardware is not going to know the name when they buy a laptop/
add a new NIC/whatever. After that, the name stays Predictable and
Persistent regardless of activation, booting'sorder of discovery etc.

> In the past, I forced the order with persistent-
> net.rules. Dunno, if normal users can deal with it. Can it your Mom or your
> Dad? Grandpa? Grandma?
>
> > > For myself I got the solution: just edited all configs to the new names,
> > > but I believe, for unexperienced users, this could be problematic.
> >
> > So-called "unexperienced" users should not meddle in servers'
> > configuration in the first place.
> > And NIC configuration is hardly relevant for a typical desktop.
> >
> > > And I also believe, an unexperienced user gets in trouble, when nobody
> > > points him, where to look.
> >
> > I don't know about that. I mean, you wrote here, isn't it? Nobody's
> > stopping this hypothetical "unexperienced" users to do the same.
>
> Remember, this list is in English, not all people do speak English well
> (included myself), and I doubt, most people want to spare the time, to crawl
> through all the lists. They want it just work.
> >
> > > You do not need to look for a solution for me, I just wanted to remember
> > > this thing and hope, we should keep this little problem in mind. Maybe
> > > this is worth a discussion, if not, please excuse the noise.

Cheers,
David.