Re: Discussion? New names of betwork devices

	Hi.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 04:06:33PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> since some time the names for network devices have changed. So its is no more
> "ethX" , but "enp1s10" or similar or "wlan0" and now "wlp5s0". You know, what
> I mean.

Yep, so called Unpredicable Device Names.

> This is made by the kernel.

No, this is done by udev. It can be disabled, it can be configured, and
it can be left as is.

> However, I discovered many packages, where are still the old names
> preconfigured with the old names.

Some examples are in order.

> I think, this may be led to confusion, so let
> me offer some suggestions:
>
> - during installation there should be an advice, to check the name of the
> interface

File a "wishlist" bug report against an appropriate package.

> - interface entries should be generally commented, so that the user has
> forcedly to check the entry

Most of the server-side packages that I can think of are either bind to all
available interfaces by default, or bind to lo, which is still here.

> I know, the last one might be problematic, because the developer never can
> know, whhich interface is used (eth0? eth1? wlan0? whatever)

Or, for instance, en0p2gibberish. They call them Unpredictable Device
Named for a reason.

> For myself I got the solution: just edited all configs to the new names, but I
> believe, for unexperienced users, this could be problematic.

So-called "unexperienced" users should not meddle in servers'
configuration in the first place.
And NIC configuration is hardly relevant for a typical desktop.

> And I also believe, an unexperienced user gets in trouble, when nobody
> points him, where to look.

I don't know about that. I mean, you wrote here, isn't it? Nobody's
stopping this hypothetical "unexperienced" users to do the same.

> You do not need to look for a solution for me, I just wanted to remember this
> thing and hope, we should keep this little problem in mind. Maybe this is
> worth a discussion, if not, please excuse the noise.

That's OK. It's Friday and it's been an eventful week, so a list can use
a flamewar.

Reco