Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On 3/22/19, deb <deb@rangingthoughts.org> wrote:

> A given drive should behave the same on Windows & Linux as far as lights
> on/off/dimming.
>
> But as I noted earlier, on Windows, the light is OFF, signaling no drive
> activity upon being removed.
>
> On debian 9.8, it stays on, after repeated dismounts.
>

> Hence my request for tools to (easily) see what's going on.
>
> *Something* is hitting the drive.

*Your* words reminded that I suspected a website of repeatedly poking
my exterior hard drive when it had no business doing so. I was just
about to poke Brian Krebs (KrebsOnSecuirty) and ask him to test if
that's what was going on, but that behavior ceased when the
potentially offending website was redesigned...

For my instances, the drive was mounted but very idle... except for
those times the light would start beaconing when I landed on that one
consumer website.....

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey