Re: Curt --- Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On Fri 22 Mar 2019 at 16:07:24 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:00:23PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > If you're really worried, first remount the partitions readonly, which
> > will fail if they're in use. Then unmount them and disconnect.
>
> Just unmount--that will fail if the partition is in use unless extra
> options are added.

Sorry, it hadn't occurred to me that the OP wasn't just doing that
(because they had said they used "Safely Remove" in Windows).
Nor had it occurred to me that one might need a bettery of tools
like iotop, hdparm, iostat, pidstat, perf top, and the rest,
rather than just unmounting. I thought they wanted a belt and braces
method, a bit of redundancy.

So it's just the usual Pose Problem A, Solve Problem B.

Cheers,
David.