Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:23:29AM -0400, deb wrote:
a.  Has anyone used iotop? thoughts?

(I did -- it's CLI-based. I was underwhelmed. Hard-ish to use; can't easily
pinpoint processes accessing the drives)

Well, it's hard to say what would work better if you can't explain what the problem is with iotop. By default it sorts by io %, which isn't necessarily the best view. Left and right arrows highlight and sort by other columns, and it may be more useful to look at reads and writes individually.

Depending on what's on the disk, it might be more useful to just use lsof to see what files are open and try to understand what those might be doing.