Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On 3/22/19 4:07 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:00:23PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
If you're really worried, first remount the partitions readonly, which
will fail if they're in use. Then unmount them and disconnect.

Just unmount--that will fail if the partition is in use unless extra options are added.

Mike Stone

Actually no.

That's where I started at.

A given drive should behave the same on Windows & Linux as far as lights on/off/dimming.

But as I noted earlier, on Windows, the light is OFF, signaling no drive activity upon being removed.

On debian 9.8, it stays on, after repeated dismounts.

Hence my request for tools to (easily) see what's going on.

*Something* is hitting the drive.

Thanks