Curt --- Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On 3/22/19 1:48 PM, Curt wrote:
On 2019-03-22, deb <deb@rangingthoughts.org> wrote:
Depending on what's on the disk, it might be more useful to just use
lsof to see what files are open and try to understand what those might
be doing.

Thank you Michael.

I'll build up a list of these recommendations for here.

I believe you said that the external USB drive's LED remains on, even
after unmounting, and that indicates to you that there's activity on the
drive. I've always labored under the idea that a *flashing* light
indicated activity and a steady one an idle state.

Now it occurs to me that these signal indications may depend on the make
and model of the drive itself.

What should be the behavior of the LED on your drive when the drive is
unmounted and/or inactive?

(This is probably a waste of everybody's time.)

> (This is probably a waste of everybody's time.)

Not of mine.

Or a bunch of users.

YES -- this differs by manufacturer.

Just a reminder -- the bulk of mine are Seagate Backup Plus (1-5TB. USB 3.0).
On Windows, when you dismount (Safely Remove) these
the light goes off.

It is On when connected and very dimmly flashed when being accessed.
So, it can flash a bit when indexes are up[dated,
or a file is flushed -- and go right back to steady on.

I only *feel* safe, pulling the cable when the light is OFF.

Again, I can NOT suffer a data-loss-because-of-Evil-Linux situation,
giving the Windows-folk ammo.

I wanted to switch to your name in the Subject Curt,
but Jim P. will yell at me. :-)

Screw it --- I switched it anyway.