Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

Le 11/03/2019 à 19:46, David Wright a écrit :
On Sat 09 Mar 2019 at 20:31:36 (+0100), Pascal Hambourg wrote:

I did not mean using UDF on opticals discs but on regular drives, just
as any other general purpose filesystem. I once considered using it
for file sharing between Windows and Linux instead of the usual FAT
and NTFS. Indeed UDF is natively supported as a read-write filesystem
by both Linux and Windows, natively supports POSIX permissions and
does not suffer from FAT file size limitations. And I was surprised to
discover that the label set by Windows was not the label read by Linux
and vice versa.

Without reading a review of how it performs, I'd worry about using it
as a general purpose filesystem. It sounds as if it's designed mainly
for handling specific issues raised by particular devices.

No, the "U" stands for "Universal" and its is designed for a broad range of media, including hard disks. It just has special features for optical media, but is not restricted to them.

The format.exe utility in Windows has an option to format a drive or partition with UDF, so this is really not an oddity.

I might be
happier if it were integrated into the kernel rather than just a
user application.

What do you mean ? The UDF driver is integrated in the kernel (unlike NTFS which requires a FUSE driver to enable full-featured writes). Not to be confused with CD/DVD authoring software which have a different purpose.

You wrote that the filesystem label was independent of any OS.

No, I wrote "A filesystem that has a label, has that label regardless
of any OS." In other words, if you hold a filesystem (on a device) in
your hands, the label is still present, as a property of the
filesystem, written there as a sequence of characters.

This is in contrast to the string /dev/disk/by-label/LABEL which is
effectively an artefact of the operating system, dependant on the
device being connected to a particular type of OS, and not written
anywhere on the device itself.

I understand what you mean, but my point is that it does not make any difference in practice. Whatever intrinsic metadata is stored on the device is irrelevant ; what actually matters is what metadata the operating system uses as a label. If different operating systems use different metadata as the label, then you cannot consider that the label is independent of any operating systems.