Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> and my fstab is:
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.

  I've found that labeling my disk partitions
  and using  /dev/disk/by-label/xyzzy  lines
  in the  /etc/fstab  file seems to be much easier
  for my own small brain to comprehend.

  An example from one of my local machines ....

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd1_root  /               ext4    errors=remount-ro   0       1

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd1_efi   /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077          0       1

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd1_swap  none            swap    sw                  0       0

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd1_home  /home           ext4    defaults            0       2

  To label the disk partitions check the  man  pages
  for the following labeling options ....

   $ ls -1 /sbin | grep label
   dosfslabel
   e2label
   exfatlabel
   fatlabel
   ntfslabel
   swaplabel

  The  e2label  program is effective for  ext  partitions.

  To list the disk labels ....

  $ ls -Ahl /dev/disk/by-label

--
Stanley C. Kitching