Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

Michael Stone wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 07:11:36AM -0700, Cousin Stanley wrote:
>>Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

>>> and my fstab is:
>>>
>>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>>
>>  I've found that labeling my disk partitions
>>  and using  /dev/disk/by-label/xyzzy  lines
>>  in the  /etc/fstab  file seems to be much easier
>>  for my own small brain to comprehend.
>
> If you want to use labels, it seems a lot more clear
> to use  LABEL=  rather than /dev/disk/by-label/

  I am aware of the  LABEL=  keyword for the disk labels
  in the  /etc/fstab  file and would agree that
  their use would be slightly more concise
  and save a few key strokes.

  However, in my own mind not necessarily more clear
  as  /dev/disk/by-label  shows me exactly
  what sort of label is being referenced
  and provides a reminder that I can check them
  via  ls -Ahl /dev/disk/by-label .

  Taking a line from Tim Peters' Zen of Python ....

    Explicit is better than implicit

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being