Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

Le 08/03/2019 à 04:15, David Wright a écrit :
On Thu 07 Mar 2019 at 23:12:29 (+0100), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 07/03/2019 à 20:23, David Wright a écrit :

A filesystem
that has a label, has that label regardless of any OS.

Have you ever used UDF ?

Yes. As far as my experience goes, there's not a lot of difference.
I've had no occasion to *write* DVDs on a computer system, so I can
only speak of reading them.

I did not mean using UDF on opticals discs but on regular drives, just as any other general purpose filesystem. I once considered using it for file sharing between Windows and Linux instead of the usual FAT and NTFS. Indeed UDF is natively supported as a read-write filesystem by both Linux and Windows, natively supports POSIX permissions and does not suffer from FAT file size limitations. And I was surprised to discover that the label set by Windows was not the label read by Linux and vice versa.

It has a set of identifiers, and I observed
that Windows and blkid did not use the same identifier as the label.

I've made no claim about what Windows and blkid do and do not use.

You wrote that the filesystem label was independent of any OS. I just gave an example of a filesystem for which two different OSes use two different identifiers as the label.