Re: What to do about spam in debian-user [was: Your Password Reset Link from CorrLinks]

Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I am not using mutt. TDE version of kmail. And I'd point out that
> > > the threat of a list unsubscribe is blamed on a "bounce". That
> > > specific word.
> >
> > English sucks.  Words are overloaded and have multiple meanings.
> >
> A quite high vacuum at times.
>
> > (2) Mutt has a feature that lets you send an EXACT copy of a message
> > to a different address, preserving all of the headers and content
> > verbatim.  Mutt calls this "bouncing".
>
> If this is such a good feature, why is mutt the only agent doing it?

Because mutt has lots of input from sysadmins, whereas most mail
agents are trying to be easy to use for people who don't read
manuals.

Imagine if the interface for a CNC mill was developed by
Microsoft with the goal that no user could ever cut
themselves on sharp edges. Every edge will be chamfered or
radiused, and you'll never be able to get two pieces to line
up next to each other seamlessly.

The UNIX philosophy is that at any moment, a user might change into a
sysadmin or a programmer, so make those tools available if they
know how to invoke them.

-dsr-