Re: What to do about spam in debian-user [was: Your Password Reset Link from CorrLinks]

On Thursday 21 February 2019 09:01:04 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > > Forwarding and bouncing are completely different operations.  If
> > > you aren't using mutt/neomutt and don't have a literal bounce
> > > feature, then please just ignore this part.
> >
> > I am not using mutt. TDE version of kmail. And I'd point out that
> > the threat of a list unsubscribe is blamed on a "bounce". That
> > specific word.
>
> English sucks.  Words are overloaded and have multiple meanings.

A quite high vacuum at times.

> (2) Mutt has a feature that lets you send an EXACT copy of a message
> to a different address, preserving all of the headers and content
> verbatim.  Mutt calls this "bouncing".

If this is such a good feature, why is mutt the only agent doing it?

>     It's different from "forwarding", which strips out all the headers
> and generates a whole new message with your own regular outgoing
> headers.

Ok, but this doesn't change the messages content, which is what generally
makes it UCE. So I fail to see the absolute isolation implied. Its still
valuable for bayes training. Just takes more copies of it to average out
the noise of where it came FROM.

>     See the documentation at
> <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#sending-intro> and
> <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#forwarding-mail>.

I have read the link reco sent, many times at many addresses. Can't argue
a bit about 99% of it ought to go to /dev/null based of don't give them
a clue it actually was seen by a human eyeball. It ought to all go
to /dev/null. When no response is generated, they'll run out of money to
buy bandwidth, and TANSTAAFL will see to it that space gets rented to
the next sucker, who bought the last truckload of cabbage patch dolls to
unload as collectors items. Or maybe it was pet rocks?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)