Re: What to do about spam in debian-user [was: Your Password Reset Link from CorrLinks]

> > Forwarding and bouncing are completely different operations.  If you
> > aren't using mutt/neomutt and don't have a literal bounce feature,
> > then please just ignore this part.
>
> I am not using mutt. TDE version of kmail. And I'd point out that the
> threat of a list unsubscribe is blamed on a "bounce". That specific
> word.

English sucks.  Words are overloaded and have multiple meanings.

The word "bounce" in particular is being used in two very different ways
in this thread.

(1) When an SMTP receiver accepts a message and then later discovers that
    it cannot deliver said message, it is "supposed" to generate
    a response message to inform the sender that the message was
    undeliverable.  This response is called a "bounce".

    That design is from the early days of the Internet, when spam was
    not (such) an issue.  It worked great in 1990 when the main problems
    were speed, reliability and cost of site-to-site connections.  The
    goal was to ensure that mail got through no matter what.  Receivers
    expected that every incoming message was important and was sent in
    good faith.  The intent was for the receiver to try *really* hard to
    make the delivery or send the message on its way, even if it was
    sent to the wrong place by accident, and even if the original sender
    couldn't stay connected while the receiver tried to figure out how
    to deal with the message.

    Today, that design is EXTREMELY bad, because spammers have taken
    advantage of it.  Spammers forge the sender address, and then send
    their spam to an invalid (or just random) recipient address.  If
    the receiver naively implements the old SMTP protocols including
    separate "bounce" responses, then the spam is sent to the forged
    sender address by the naive victim, and is that much harder to trace
    back to the actual spammer.  This is known as a "joe job", because
    an innocent victim gets blamed for it.

(2) Mutt has a feature that lets you send an EXACT copy of a message to
    a different address, preserving all of the headers and content
    verbatim.  Mutt calls this "bouncing".

    It's different from "forwarding", which strips out all the headers and
    generates a whole new message with your own regular outgoing headers.

    See the documentation at <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#sending-intro>
    and <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#forwarding-mail>.