Re: What to do about spam in debian-user [was: Your Password Reset Link from CorrLinks]

On Thursday 21 February 2019 03:59:37 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 11:45:50AM +0300, Reco wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > You can also help us by bouncing (as in mutt) spam to
> > report-listspam@lists.debian.org
>
> Thanks
> -- t
This _might_ be a good idea, if that address took forwards. My incoming
chain does not include the ability to do other than accept, then divert
to /var/mail/virii or /dev/null. But my one attempt to forward to that
address when debians poor spam/viri filters failed often enough to get
my attention several years ago, resulted in its being bounced back to me

Don't give me, or my current ISP a hard time because their spam filtering
is far better then debians. I get very little spam from them because
they do active bouncing, using barracuda I believe, or they'll put it in
a spam folder, but thats rare, 4 to 10 msgs a day. When I moved my
server from my former employers server because the facility had been
sold and my lifetime account was going away, I had to call the tech
people at Shentel and compose a whitelist. Putting debian on that
whitelist raised the spam content around 10% here. My incoming spam gets
fed to sa-learn at about 1 am, and the folder copied to a 1 day save in
case I need to retrieve something. Its coming up on 8 am local, and only
3 more have been caught by SA. I'll have maybe 15 by the end of the
collection day. I thank my ISP for their active filtering as its caught
hundreds I don't have to even waste the bandwidth to download.

I could probably, with some study, have procmail forward that stuff to
the above address in near real time.

But if all it generates is bounces, why bother? That just serves to prove
to me that debian has zero interest in containing UCE. Since I don't set
the rules, or write the checks for debian, that just how it is.

Thats a choice debian has made as its the least manpower choice, and I
grok that.

But redirecting the blame to me or my ISP because debians filtering is
poor, is poor form in any language. I go look at every message that I
get threatening messages from your server over because my ISP bounced
it, and there have been no exceptions in 2 years, every time you got a
bounce from my ISP, it was blatantly UCE that the debian server should
have sent to  /dev/null, and I'll not apologize for that. I do not
consider its me or my ISP's problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)